The Day the World was Changed Forever Matthew James/June 19th

I wrote this back in 2012, June 18  Happy Birthday, Matthew

It was hot, hot, hot that year.  I was pregnant w/my fourth child.  We knew it we going to be a boy and he would be Matthew.  I love the name, such a guy name…MATTHEW.  His due date was July 12,1988.  We had just moved into a new home in Naperville, IL Heritage Knolls.  It was right across the street from River Woods.  We had Michael Jr. who was 5 years old and Lizzie who was 2 years old.   We moved in on Memorial Day weekend.  It was hard because I got so big when I was pregnant.   And like I said before, it was hot, hot, Hot. Oh did I mention it was hot.

I had Dr’s. appts. like every week, because I was at the end of my pregnancy.  It was a Monday night and I had just been to the Dr’s. that day.  I was in the garage trying to get around the lawn mower, when I lost my balance and fell on the wires of the lawn mower.  I didn’t want to fall on my big belly so I landed on my legs.  Oh how that hurt and they got cut up and bruised.  The neighbor heard me crying out for help and came running.  He was a little asian guy and was trying to pick me up (w/o any luck).  Instead he just yelled to my husband w/a thick accent, “Your wife, your wife has fallen.  Come quick!!!”  Actually I was really crying  just because I was so mad and hot and tired of being pregnant.  How stupid that I could fall like that, geezzz.

Well then my husband had to pack us all in the car because the Dr. wanted to see me and make sure I was okay.  He put me on the monitor just to see how the baby was doing.  The baby was fine, my legs not so much.  Now my goal was not to have this baby until my legs healed.  I looked a sight.

I had a lot of work to do.  I had to get unpacked, set up a nursery, (buy everything including a crib as we had nothing for a baby) in the matter of a couple of weeks.  No easy task with two kids under six at home.  I had a girl, Laura Workman, come over part of the day and keep the kids busy so that I could get stuff done.  It helped some, but I was limited because of my size.  I was H U G E and the pregnancy was taking it’s toll.  

Father’s Day weekend came.  My dad came up to see the new house.   I just remember him coming up that day, that’s why I’m including him in this recollection.  Me,  Michael and the kids went into town to Ribfest that week-end.  I think it was the first time for rifest.  Like I said, it was so hot that day.

  Spent a quiet evening at home that night.   Went to bed feeling fine, just big, fat and pregnant.  Got woken up early the next morning.  It was June 19th, Sunday Father’s Day.  I had a discharge of water.  I thought this can’t be happening it is way to early.  I had almost a month to go.  Nothing was ready for the baby.  The house wasn’t unpacked.  The nursery wasn’t set up.  We didn’t even have a crib yet.  Really, you have got to be kidding me.  But the baby didn’t really care that we were not ready.  He was,so today was going to be Matthew’s birthday.  I had to call a friend to come and watch the kids until his Michael’s mom could get to the house.  I think I called a friend of ours from high school.  She came and off we went to the hospital, Good Samaritan in Downers Grove, IL.   

Dr. Muraski was on call and he was probably going to deliver the baby.  I wasn’t sure whether or not I was going to have an epidural or do it naturally like I had with the last 3.  I wanted to have a pain free childbirth, but I wasn’t so sure of getting a needle stuck in my back.  Well he told me not to wait too long to decide because once I passed a certain point I couldn’t get the epidural.  Well my first real contraction came and I told him to get the anesthesiologist  in here.  I wanted an epidural.  OMG, it was so easy after that.  I only wished I would have had that with my other kids.  Not only was labor and delivery sooooo easy, my recovery was so much faster.

  So I got the epidural around 9:30, 10 am and I just layed around watched T.V. til around 12:30/1 pm.  I started feeling a sensation of something, not pain just something was happening.  Sure enough, it was baby time.  Pushing was a breeze.  Unlike the other one’s, no pain!!!  I pushed a couple of times, and then there he was.  Matthew Frain was born into this world.  He was a beautiful baby.  Stunning, like an angel.  He had beautiful golden blond curly hair.  Bright blue eyes, I know all baby’s have blue eyes when they are born but he would keep them.

 He was like 4 weeks early so it was probably a good thing he came then.  As it was, he was 6 lbs. 13 oz.  He would of been like 9 lbs. if he had been born in July.  It was a good thing..  The weather was so, so hot.  100’s and  a drought on top of that.  I think we had 3 or 4, 100+ degree days that week he was born.  But Matthew was born on Father’s Day and that was a cool thing to give my husband that day.  A brand new, baby boy on Father’s Day, Matthew James.  What a cool name.  



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: